Friday, November 9, 2012

MODERN: Parts to Whole

I have learned many aspects in modern that I never realized would be the key to unlocking difficulties I struggle with in ballet, and also in other styles of dance.


The execution of a body half requires stabilization in the lower portion of the body and also being aware of what your own personal boundaries are. One has to know what good alignment feels and looks like. This is something that has really created awareness for me. I know now what it feels like to make sure the abs is engaged and not gripping. I have discovered that the phrase “dropping your tail bone” does not mean to tuck it under like you’re a dog with its tail in between its legs. The abs once engaged are what makes the tail bone drop. Also when doing a body half, you have to know how to lengthen in the upper portion of your torso and through your head. The energy can’t be coming just from the bottom, it has to radiate all throughout the body. The weight needs to be established as well as the rest of your body. In my personal opinion I feel like if the alignment is correct, then the rest falls in place. One of the other keys to becoming a dancer that is interesting to watch, you have to know how to move the pelvis “through space” as Ms. Acosta says. I for so long have been confused about this phrase, but when I finally start letting myself truly feel the movement, and think of leading my movements with my pelvis, I had quite the epiphany. For so long, I didn’t realize how much I had held myself back from adding that extra WOW factor! Dancers who have big movement, who can travel even when the steps are small, or even in place, but require the pelvis to detach itself from the rest of the body, are the dancers who are the most interesting to watch. I really have a hard time describing this movement and feeling. You literally just do it! When I am in the center, I have many things to think about. I have really been concentrating on my center, because that is the key to stabilization. Specifically when in flat back, I am working on letting my upper half create energy through the fingers, through the back of the neck with energy coming out of the head. I have been focusing on folding in half, meaning when I reach out to the flat back, I have everything aligned, keeping my weight forward, and my abs engaged, and reach through every direction of my body: down into the floor, out the arms, tops of the head, into the floor, through the back of my legs and back. These aspects are the things I try and focus on. They have helped me in the way I execute my moment, the picking up of combinations and doing them full out, and becoming the beautiful dancer that I have always wanted to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment